This page is designed to help you with frequently asked questions you may have about Private Renting through SHW.


Will SHW be my Landlord?

SHW act as agent for the landlord and are instructed to manage the property . All communication (email, phone and letters) is via SHW as Property Managers and instructions will be sought from the landlord when required.


What fees will I be charged to let a property?

Following the Tenant Fees Act which came into effect on 1st June, 2019, there are only a few fees that can be charged to the tenant. A full list of these fees can be found by clicking on the link below;


What is the maximum rent I can afford and do I need a Guarantor?

The maximum rent a tenant can afford is based on the combined income of the household living at the property and will need to be in excess of 2.5 times the annual rent. Regardless of how the combined income is made up, all tenants will be joint and severally liable for the rent.


Should a tenant fall short of the required affordability threshold or have any adverse credit a Guarantor may be required. The Guarantor will need to earn in excess of 3 times the annual rent and will be responsible for payment if the tenant(s) default.


What deposit do I need to pay, where is it registered and what does it cover?

Since 1st June, 2019, tenant deposits are capped in accordance with the Tenant Fees Act, 2019. For a property with an annual rent less than £50,000pa the deposit cap is equivalent to 5 weeks rent. A property where the annual rent is £50,000pa of over, the deposit cap is equivalent to 6 weeks rent.


SHW register deposits with My Deposits Insurance scheme where the deposit is held by SHW as Stakeholder. The deposit is held as security against arrears and/ or dilapidations at the end of the tenancy beyond fair wear and tear.


Do I need to take out contents insurance?

Yes is recommended that tenants take out contents insurance. A landlord will have their own buildings insurance in place which will cover the structure of the building, however it is the tenants responsibility to insure their own contents. The landlords building insurance will not cover tenants possessions.



When is my rent due?

Rental Payments are due in advance in accordance with the day of the month the tenancy agreement commenced (unless otherwise agreed in writing). For example, if a tenancy commenced on the 25th of the month, the rental period will be from the 25th to the 24th of each month inclusive, with the rent payment due on the 25th.


Rental payments are to be made by setting up a Direct Debit, standing order or BACS payment. If paying by Standing order or BACS, payment is to be made to the account below quoting the unique reference that has been provided to the tenant.



                           Bank: Barclays Bank PLC, 139-142 North Street,

                           Brighton, East Sussex BN1 1RU

                           Sort Code: 20-12-83

                           Account No: 63819124

                           Account Name: Stiles Harold Williams Partnership LLP

                           Clients No. 1 A/C


What are a Tenants responsibilities during the course of a tenancy?

Examples of a Tenants responsibilities during the course of the tenancy include;


  • Paying rent on time in accordance with the tenancy agreement

  • Keep the property and any outside spaces in a clean and tidy condition & repair any damage caused by misuse

  • Replacing batteries in hard wired smoke alarms

  • Not to clog up the drainage system with fats, oils, wet wipes and sanitary products etc.

  • Allow access to contractors to carry out maintenance repairs and compliance tests.

  • Keep the property heated and ventilated especially during the colder months to reduce the build up of condensation

  • Act in a tenant like manner, being responsible for the actions of any guests or visitors to the property and showing consideration to neighbouring properties.


Am I responsible for Council Tax payments and Utility Bills?

Yes, unless otherwise agreed within the tenancy agreement, the tenant is responsible for all council tax & utility bills relating to the period they have been in occupation.


Am I allowed a pet in the property?

Consent for a pet in the property will not be unreasonably withheld, however will depend on a number of factors such as the type of animal, size of the property and any restrictions in the head lease.


Do I need to provide access for Landlord compliance checks?

Yes, access needs to be provided so these compliance checks can be carried out to ensure the ongoing safety of the tenant.


Do I need to provide access for inspections & why are inspections carried out?

Property inspections are carried out on an annual basis and adequate notice of inspections is provided. Property inspections allow Property Managers to meet with the tenants to discuss their tenancy and any property related issues they may have. It is also an opportunity for Property Managers to see how the property is being looked after, any health and safety risks and outstanding maintenance requirements that need attention.


What are a Landlords responsibilities?

Examples of a Landlords responsibility during the course of the tenancy include;


  • Providing a property to a Tenant which is fit for habitation and free from hazard

  • Responsible for any maintenance and repairs which have occurred through wear and tear

  • Ensuring the space heating & hot water are in good working order

  • Ensuring the property is compliant with all necessary safety checks

  • Ensuring the building is adequately insured.





People finder

See our people


See everything

Filter by:


Professional Consultancy


Building Consultancy

Sales, Lettings & Acquisitions