19 March 2019
Chris Heather, Senior Planner, SHW, says: "The Draft London Plan, now under review, examines a range of issues that will affect the lives of everyone with a connection to the capital. Housing delivery continues to be critical, with the updated plan showing a targeted 53.2% increase in new housing compared with the adopted London Plan, a rise from 42,389 to 64,935 per year. "But this only tells part of the story and masks significant geographical variations. There is a definite shift in focus from inner to outer London. In the existing plan, just over half (54%) of the overall housing target is allocated to the smaller inner London boroughs; the proposal is to cut this to 41%, leaving 59% of new housing to the outer boroughs.
"A closer look at the individual borough totals demonstrates the full impact of this shift. Whereas it is proposed to reduce targets for the likes of Hackney, Kensington & Chelsea and Islington, the opposite is true of boroughs further out. At the top of the list is Merton, where the targeted increase is a massive 223%, followed by Bexley and Hillingdon in second and third place.
"But these percentages paint a different picture to the raw numbers for housing supply in some boroughs. For example, Tower Hamlets would still have the second-highest allocation of any borough and Merton would have the 27th highest. Some of Hackney and Tower Hamlets' allocations have also been moved across to the London Legacy Development Corporation, the body set up to redevelop former Olympics 2012 sites in east London.
"So although the trend is significant, it is not correct to assume that inner London has now done its part to meet housing targets.
"On a proportionate basis, average housing allocations per inner and outer London borough in the adopted plan are over 15,000 and under 10,000 respectively. The Draft London Plan proposes to almost equalise these targets at around 18,500 each. However, given the difference in size between boroughs, the inner London boroughs are still expected to provide proportionately more housing, by this measure anyway.
"Overall, the message appears to be that inner London boroughs will still need to work hard to meet demand for new housing, but those on the outskirts will have to work much harder than they have previously. This represents a real challenge for individual boroughs and a real opportunity for developers to respond to the need for housing across the capital."
This piece originally appeared in Property Week, 15th March 2019.
020 8662 2710
21 September 2021
CONTENTIOUS CHANGE OF USE IN A LISTED BUILDINGfull story
17 March 2021
1 ACRE SITE SALE IN LEATHERHEADfull story
31 December 2020
Planning round up for 2020 and update for the New Year.full story
11 September 2020
SHW Guide to the new Use Class Order in England & Walesfull story
5 June 2020
Planning Inspectorate - Appeal Timescalesfull story
23 April 2020
How Covid-19 could change residential layouts & home workingfull story
24 March 2020
SHW Planning team secures planning permission for new Commercial Units in Littlehamptonfull story
26 February 2020
Planning Permission granted for prominent site in Batterseafull story
2 July 2019
Planning permission granted for CentrePoint at Burgess Hillfull story
4 June 2019
Permitted Development Rights – retail to office conversionfull story
8 May 2019
SHW Planning wins 24 residential unit consent - Chathamfull story
1 May 2019
SHW Planning Opinions Matter: What to make of proposed Permitted Development extensions?full story
24 April 2019
Tungsten Properties achieves planning consent for West Sussex warehouse buildingfull story
16 April 2019
Planning Inspectorate overturn Hove decision on appealfull story
4 March 2019
Tenacious Planners win the day on appealfull story
4 February 2019
Opinions Matter: New London Plan Housing Targets – Inner vs Outerfull story
4 February 2019
Possible Article 4 blocking new HMOs - Croydonfull story
8 January 2019
Southern counties missing out on New Year government bonusesfull story