4 February 2019

Opinions Matter: New London Plan Housing Targets – Inner vs Outer


The Draft London Plan is currently under review - examining a range of issues which will ultimately impact on the lives of everyone with a connection to the capital. One of the key ones (as ever) is housing. The plan is showing increased housing numbers generally when compared to the adopted London Plan: an increase from 42,389 per annum to 64,935 - a 53.2% increase.

However, this only tells part of the story and masks the geographical variations within. There is a definite shift in focus from Inner London to Outer London (as defined by Map 2.2 of the adopted Plan). As adopted 52% of the overall target is allocated to the smaller and fewer boroughs in Inner London). This is proposed to drop to 38%, leaving the remaining 62% to the outer boroughs. This can be seen in the individual borough totals. Whereas targets are proposed to reduce for the likes of Hackney, Kensington and Chelsea and Islington, the opposite is true of others. At the top of the list is Merton where the increase is a massive 223%, with Bexley and Hillingdon in second and third place.


Merton (223%) Islington (- 39%)
Bexley (179%) Kensington and Chelsea (- 33%)
Hillingdon (178%) Hackney (- 17%)
Hounslow (165%) Tower Hamlets (- 11%)
Sutton (159%) Southwark (- 7%)


Naturally, the relationship is not perfect and the percentages ignore some of the raw numbers: for example, Tower Hamlets would still have the second highest allocation of any borough and Merton would have the 27th highest. Therefore, it is a trend which is significant but in itself should not assume that Inner London has now done its part to meet housing targets. On a proportionate basis the average housing allocations per Inner and Outer London Borough in the adopted plan is 16,361 and 9,357 respectively. This is proposed to equalise to 18,484 and 18,450, but given the difference in areas between boroughs the Inner London boroughs are still expected to do proportionately more, by this measure anyway.


Overall, the message appears to be that Inner boroughs will still need to work hard, but the outskirts need to work much harder than they have previously. This represents a real challenge for individual boroughs and a real opportunity for developers to respond to the need for housing across the capital.


Chris Heather

020 8662 2710


back to newspreviousnext


More from this author

Subscribe for more

share this article

Related articles

21 September 2021


full story

17 March 2021


full story

31 December 2020

Planning round up for 2020 and update for the New Year.

full story

11 September 2020

SHW Guide to the new Use Class Order in England & Wales

full story

5 June 2020

Planning Inspectorate - Appeal Timescales

full story

23 April 2020

How Covid-19 could change residential layouts & home working

full story

24 March 2020

SHW Planning team secures planning permission for new Commercial Units in Littlehampton

full story

26 February 2020

Planning Permission granted for prominent site in Battersea

full story

2 July 2019

Planning permission granted for CentrePoint at Burgess Hill

full story

4 June 2019

Permitted Development Rights – retail to office conversion

full story

8 May 2019

SHW Planning wins 24 residential unit consent - Chatham

full story

1 May 2019

SHW Planning Opinions Matter: What to make of proposed Permitted Development extensions?

full story

24 April 2019

Tungsten Properties achieves planning consent for West Sussex warehouse building

full story

16 April 2019

Planning Inspectorate overturn Hove decision on appeal

full story

19 March 2019

Outer London boroughs to play bigger role in provision of housing

full story

4 March 2019

Tenacious Planners win the day on appeal

full story

4 February 2019

Possible Article 4 blocking new HMOs - Croydon

full story

8 January 2019

Southern counties missing out on New Year government bonuses

full story